Strong background of building and shipping commercial applications and services of outstanding
quality. Exceptional ability at integrating a business view of technologies
and markets with actual products. Strong abilities in leading great engineering teams both local,
distributed, and offshore. Experience in founding, building, and running
startups with IPO and acquisition as a result. Contact information here.
Senior Vice President of Engineering and CTO (April 2005 - May 2013)
Waverley provides software development outsourcing services and expertise in a
broad range of software areas including mobile (iOS, Android, mobile Web), server (Java, Ruby, PHP),
desktop (Mac, Windows, Linux), and specific technology areas such as synchronization, telecom, embedded,
Responsible for leadership of all engineering and project management operations including:
- Establish and run our development offices in Ukraine.
- Define and support strategic partnerships with engineering teams in Romania, Bulgaria, and Ukraine.
- Work with leading edge clients such as TripIt, GroupOn, Yahoo, and Fanhattan on existing and new projects.
- Develop new client and project opportunities.
- Define and drive best practices and agile processes for use with all clients.
- Establish and provide support infrastructure for all internal operations.
- Define and execute technical strategy for the company.
- Executive and board member leadership for the company.
Vice President of Software Engineering (April 2003 - February 2005)
Silverback Systems is a start-up that is developing a new breed
of processors to enable and capitalize on the emergence of IP Storage. The
solution provides a state of the art architecture that carefully balances
the combination of silicon and software for the next generation of networked
storage and data centers.
Joined the company to head the software team. As the leader of the software
engineering and quality portion of the company, my accomplishments include:
- Managed two local and one remote development team.
- Drove need to focus on smaller number of projects and gain alignment around
a product driven process.
- Established additional engineering, quality, and release engineering processes.
- Shipped multiple product releases that included drivers and firmware for use with
the iSNAP processor.
- Led the development teams responsible for the most technically advanced product
offering in the marketplace for TCP/IP and iSCSI offload.
- Built a quality organization where none existed before.
- Established additional development and quality labs to meet growing feature
and quality standards.
- Brought much more of a people focus to a primarily technical management style
- Improved internal communication capabilities through the use of regular status,
meetings, reviews, and a Wiki intranet.
- Represented the software and quality teams at the executive and board level.
Co-founder, Senior Vice President of Engineering and CTO (August 1998 -
Privately held and founded in 1998, fusionOne is the pioneer developer and
marketer of carrier-class, synchronization software solutions that make accessing
and updating information simple and seamless across multiple communication
and computing devices. The company is backed by JP Morgan Partners, Nokia
Venture Partners, Oppenheimer Funds, 3Com Ventures, El Dorado Ventures, amongst
others. Recent partnerships include Nokia, Sprint, Apple, and Lucent.
Started the company with the current CEO based on my vision of a distributed
approach to personal information usage across a wide range of devices. The
products spanned desktops, handhelds, mobile phones, enterprise servers, and
carrier-class servers. As the leader of the engineering and quality portion
of the company, my accomplishments include:
- Played crucial role in all four rounds of financing totaling approximately
- Defined technical strategy for the company that is still the foundation
for the current business.
- Drove the development of a world-class data center based on Solaris, Oracle,
EMC storage, and Cisco networking.
- The consumer service signed up over 750,000 subscribers.
- Defined the software architecture using a mixture of distributed components
in Java, C++, C, Java servlets, JSP, JDBC, HTTP, HTML, and XML.
- Delivered software agents for a wide range of platforms including Windows,
Palm, PPC, and various mobile phones.
- Delivered a full suite of Web applications including contacts, calendar,
mail, tasks, notes, bookmarks, and files.
- Built a world-class development and quality team from scratch. At its
peak, the entire group totaled approximately 150 people. The group was divided
into multiple subgroups each with a director/manager. Group included multiple
development groups, quality assurance, international engineering, release
engineering, and technical documentation.
- Managed an international development and quality team that delivered multiple
versions of internationalized and localized product for Japan. Other languages
were built on a needed basis.
- Drove development of appropriate engineering processes at various stages.
- Standardized key software support for source control, defect management,
IDEs, and other tools.
- Shipped over 15 production releases of the synchronization service.
- Responsible for entire engineering budget.
- Partnered with sales/BD team to develop and close all critical business
- Managed offshore quality and development teams to enhance our primarily
- Created and managed our entire patent strategy and portfolio. Filed over
34 domestic and international patents. Inventor on over 20 of these patents.
- Handled multiple aspects of 4 acquisitions and due-diligence for other
- Managed 3 reduction-in-force efforts.
- Presented at many conferences and seminars.
- Drove our joining and participation in key standards organizations such
as W3C, WAP Forum, OMA, SyncML, and IrDA.
Agaté Technologies - Fremont, CA
Vice President of Engineering (June 1997 - August 1998)
Agaté pioneered hot swapping of IDE peripherals and continues to spearhead
the move towards a new paradigm in data availability and security. As a premier
designer, developer, and marketer of mobile data storage and management, Agaté
is committed to delivering breakthrough technology solutions that give users
accessibility, mobility, and security of data that are cost-effective and
user-friendly. Agaté has been licensing hot-swap technology to various
OEMs since 1997, including HP, NEC, and Siemens.
Joined Agaté to assume responsibility for product development, quality
assurance, and customer support of startup company's hardware and software
solutions for hot-swapping of desktop and notebook IDE/ATAPI devices. Innovative
Tioman software for notebook system OEMs bundled with major manufacturers
such as NEC and Acer. HotData desktop dock solutions sold through channel
and OEM relationships. My accomplishments included:
- Rewrote the Tioman code using C++ and object-oriented design.
- Started the project to design and develop a version for Windows NT.
- Created a quality/support team.
- Shipped multiple versions of the Tioman and HotData products.
- Saved OEM relationships with existing key customers due to lack of quality
and delivery failures.
- Provided key technical leadership in securing new OEM relationships with
multiple system OEMs.
Project Manager (August 1996 - June 1997)
Cheyenne (now part of Computer Associates) was a leading provider of backup
and anti-virus software products for the enterprise. Their award-winning ARCserve,
InnocuLAN, and BitWare products provided unprecedented support for enterprise
data sources and a wide range of storage devices.
Cheyenne purchased Moniker as part of a plan to deliver retail storage and
anti-virus solutions to consumers. My accomplishments included:
- Lead development of business and products for entry into the CD-Recordable
(CD-R), CD-ReWritable (CD-RW), and DVD markets as part of the new Cheyenne
- Launched release of Moniker’s Spira product as Cheyenne Zap for CD.
- Enhanced drive support for the latest CD-R and CD-RW drives.
- Led continuing drive to establish Zap for CD with drive and system OEMs.
- Worked with other Cheyenne groups to integrate CD writing capabilities
into backup products.
Moniker - Scotts Valley, CA
Founder, President and CEO (April 1994 - August 1996)
Founded in 1994, Moniker (now owned by Computer Associates) was the pioneer
in developing CD recordable software solutions for Windows. The flagship product
Spira was the very first complete software solution for creating 100% compatible
CD-ROM discs using simple and intuitive drive-letter access.
Started Moniker to take advantage of the new CD-R drives for desktop computers.
The goal was to provide software drivers to OEM partners that avoided the
complexity of premastering applications that were never designed for everyday
consumer use. My role covered every aspect of the business including:
- Started company to deliver consumer software for desktop CD-R products.
Shipped breakthrough software-only solution called Spira for drive-letter
access to CD-R drives for both Windows 95 and Windows 3.1 systems.
- Designed and developed the complete Spira product. This included CD-R
drive specific device drivers, file system driver, and user interface elements
all written in C++.
- Shipped many versions for both Windows 3.1 and Windows 95.
- Built user documentation and help system.
- Worked with drive OEMs to define the MMC standards used for all SCSI and
- Handled all corporate matters.
- Raised capital to start company from local angel. Invested my own personal
money as well.
- Hired and managed sales and administrative staff.
- Drove all OEM and reseller account deals.
- Handled small retail manufacturing to support reseller efforts.
- Outsourced and managed marketing and public relations through outside
- Outsourced and managed sales efforts aimed at distribution and OEM sales
- Sold company to Cheyenne Software. Returned all of the original capital
Meridian Data - Scotts Valley,
Engineering Manager (July 1992 - April 1994)
Founded in 1988, Meridian Data (now part of Quantum) is a developer and manufacturer
of easy-to-use network storage solutions. With more than four million users,
Meridian Data's systems are deployed worldwide throughout Fortune 1,000 class
companies, small businesses, government and educational institutions.
Joined Meridian Data as a software engineer to build a new network device
for creating CDs. At the time, mastering a CD-ROM was very expensive and required
highly complex equipment. The NetScribe product was designed to make this
process as simple as writing to a file server. My accomplishments while at
Meridian Data included:
- Designed and developed the Windows client drivers that made NetScribe
server appliance access appear identical to local drive letter access. Provided
critical skills for file system driver development entirely in Windows.
- Worked with the server team on specification and development of appropriate
- Managed design and development of a Macintosh client through an outside
- Pioneered the design and development of the Visual CD retail product that
provided an intuitive desktop style approach to managing all types of CD
based information such as CD-ROM, CD-Audio, and PhotoCD.
- Created user documentation and marketing materials for Visual CD launch.
- Shipped multiple versions of both the NetScribe and Visual CD products.
- Grew to take on engineering management responsibilities for all CD recordable
and application products.
Founding/Lead Software Engineer (December 1990 - July 1992)
Founded in 1990, NetManage (Nasdaq: NETM) delivers access, publishing, integration,
and support solutions and services that maximize a company's investment in
existing information systems and provide the bridge to the new Internet economy.
Award-winning NetManage products and service offerings include a comprehensive
portfolio of application integration software, host access software, centralized
management, and real-time support solutions that transform corporate information
assets into powerful eBusiness solutions.
Joined NetManage as the fourth engineer while the product was only an IP
stack and a Telnet client. Brought on to help complete the suite of TCP/IP
applications called Chameleon for Windows. The Chameleon product competed
with similar products from FTP Software and Novell. NetManage was the first
hot TCP/IP company IPO before Netscape. Named numerous times as the fastest
growing startup of the year. As a founding engineer, my critical contributions
- Drove the vision of simple and elegant Apple-like solutions built to harness
all the capabilities of the TCP/IP standards.
- Responsible for the drive to deliver both client and server solutions
for all products.
- Designed and developed the FTP client and server application, protocol,
- Designed and developed the SMTP/POP client and server application, protocol,
- Designed and developed the SLIP dial-up networking support including scripting.
- Designed and developed the routing capabilities and user interface.
- Designed and developed the RPC client and server modules and APIs.
- Designed and developed the NFS/PCNFSD file services client and server.
This is the industry first implementation of NFS entirely in Windows 3.1.
- Designed and developed the LPR/PCNFSD print services client and server.
- Designed and developed the ICMP protocol capabilities.
- Designed and developed the next version of the configuration interface
and support modules.
- Designed and developed the NEWT application that encapsulated status,
statistics, and routing information and control.
- Shipped numerous versions of the NEWT, Chameleon, and ChameleonNFS products.
- Wrote the user and programmer documentation for all products.
- Helped in development of the NEWT socket interface that ultimately was
submitted and endorsed as the WinSock standard.
- Tested all products to insure high quality of deliverables.
- Supported key accounts through customer support calls.
- Supported key customer sales opportunities such as Walmart.
- Worked tradeshow booths as part of building sales opportunities.
Lead Software Engineer (April 1986 - December 1990)
Started at Apple to work in a newly created networking group focused on non-AppleTalk
communication products such as SNA, X.25, DECNET, and others. My accomplishments
- Designed, developed, and shipped file conversion utilities for RTF and
other file formats.
- Led development of the MacAPPC product. This product provided peer-to-peer
connectivity to IBM systems using APPC/LU6.2 protocols. A MacOS device driver
provided transparent network access to any application. The protocol layers
ran on a MR-DOS NuBus card.
- Played an active role in the development of the MR-DOS coprocessor product
that MacAPPC was based on. This product was a NuBus adapter that ran the
Apple MR-DOS multi-tasking, message passing kernel. This foundation product
provided a UNIX like environment for communication applications such as
- Played a major role in the development of both user and programmer documentation
- Shipped two major versions of MacAPPC.
- Presented a session on MacAPPC development at an Apple developer conference.
Software Engineer (June 1984 - April 1986)
Joined Burroughs (now called Unisys) following graduation from RPI. This
advanced R&D facility was working on an entirely new suite of products
based on an advanced new distributed network architecture. These new hardware
and software products were built on technologies such as UNIX, 32-bit processors,
OSI/MAP, FDDI, IEEE 802.6, network services, telephony, integrated voice and
data, and network management. My accomplishments included:
- Wrote specifications for network management solutions.
- Interfaced with various other hardware and software groups to establish standardized interfaces.
- Participated in standards organizations for networking and network management.
- Designed multiple components based on a state machine foundation.
- Coded network management components in C++.
B.S. Computer Science (1980-1984)
Graduated with honors (1976-1980)
- 7,587,446 Acquisition and synchronization of digital media to a personal information space
- 7,415,486 System using change log for synchronizing data between systems
- 7,035,878 Base rolling engine for data transfer and synchronization system
- 7,007,041 Synchronization system application object interface
- 6,944,651 Single click synchronization of data
- 6,925,476 Updating application data to aggregate change log
- 6,757,696 Management server for synchronization system
- 6,738,789 Data package including synchronization data
- 6,694,336 Data transfer and synchronization system
- 6,671,757 Data transfer and synchronization system